Saturday, March 28, 2015
Jagdpanzer IV Cutaway
The superstructure consisted of well-angled 24 armour plate, extended to the vehicle's rear, overall height being only 6ft 1in. The first gun to be fitted was the 75mm L48 Pak 39 with muzzle brake, later replaced by the more powerful 75mm L70 KwK 42, both weapons entering the vehicle via a 'Pig's Head' mantlet, to the right of which a conical hatch concealed a machine-gun. An interim model with a higher superstructure also mounted the 75mm L70, which had a muzzle velocity of 3,400ft/sec.
Like the assault gun, the Jagdpanzer IV had a crew of four, and its front armour was 80mm thick. It weighed 24 tons and had a speed of 24mph. Side skirts were often worn, and a coating of Zimmerit applied. It began entering service towards the end of 1943, gradually replacing the Marders in the tank destroyer battalions of the Panzer divisions. Although an efficient design, only 1,531 vehicles of this type had been constructed by the end of the war.