The Panzer IV/70(A) was the Alkett version of a tank-destroyer mounting the long-barrelled 75mm PaK42. It was mounted on the normal chassis of the Pz Kpfw IV from the same production line producing normal Pz Kpfw IV Ausf J at Nibelungenwerke. The Panzer IV/70(V) and (A) were produced simultaneously from August 1944 to March 1945.
The Panzer IV/70(A) had a chassis unaltered from the Pz Kpfw IV series. The superstructure was of similar design to that on the Panzer IV/70 (V) and differed only in that the lower superstructure was vertical, extending out over the tracks, and a visor was provided for the driver. The gun was mounted in the front of the sloped, upper superstructure, in the same type of mount used for the Panzer IV/70(V). The Panzer IV/70(A) was nose-heavy and was, therefore, fitted with steel-rimmed wheels on the first four bogie stations.
The Panzer IV/70(A) was employed in the same manner as the normal Pz Kpfw IV in tank detachments, or as an assault gun in place of the tank-hunter in independent assault gun brigades. Most of them were issued to or were replacements for units fighting in the East.